Our vision is “A better life for those affected by violence and trauma”.
Our center is internationally oriented and develops knowledge on an international academic level.
- Research and development
- Communications; teaching, academic supervision and counselling
- Informed advice
Our center has an interdisciplinary approach which includes medical, psychological, social, cultural and judicial fields. In our research ethnicity, age and gender factors are a main focus.
Fields of expertise:
- Violence and abuse in close relationships
- Disasters, terror and stress management
- Forced migration and refugee Health
NKVTS collaborates with regional resource teams within the field of violence and trauma, as well as other relevant clinical groups, research institutions and assistance services nationally and internationally. Our center does not operate at a clinical level but the research developed is beneficial for those who work with individuals exposed to violence, abuse and other traumas.
The managing director at NKVTS is Inger Elise Birkeland.
The following sections are responsible for research and development:
- Section for violence and trauma – children and youths (Head of section Carolina Øverlien)
- Section for violence and trauma – adults and elderly (Head of section Solveig Bergman)
- Section for trauma, catastrophes and forced migration – children and youths (Head of section Grete Dyb)
- Section for trauma, catastrophes and forced migration – adults and elderly (Head of section Marianne Opaas)
- Section for implementation and treatment research (Head of section Silje Mørup Ormhaug)
The center also has the following support staff:
- Communications (Head of Department Ingunn Eck)
- Research and Administration (Head of Department Elisabet Lillian Gustad).
The Board consists of seven members and alternate members.
Ministry of Health and Care Services, Ministry of Justice and Public Security and Ministry of Children and Equality are the primary financers of NKVTS. NKVTS also has projects financed by the Norwegian Research Council, EU, and others.
Other agencies and institutions can order the center’s services. In these cases NKVTS will evaluate each request separately to see if it is within our scope of expertise and work capacity.